Negotiation Skills Workshop
Presentation by Dr. Xu Simon, certified mediator in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
The event is part of the Women of CELEST lifestyle/professional seminars to meet and discuss the integration of women’s interests into the scientific community while addressing the needs and interests of women scientists. Negotiation Skills Workshop is open to everyone, particularly women scientists. Co-hosted with Boston University’s GWISE, Women in Biology, Women in Physics, Women in Chemistry, and Women of CELEST.
About the Event
- Wednesday, April 21, 2010
- 12:00 PM - 2:00PM
- 9th Floor Colloquium Room
- Photonics Building
- Boston University
- 8 Saint Marys Street
- Brookline, MA 02446
Tired of not getting what you want from your colleagues, your boss, or your service provider? Principled negotiation is a process that can be learned; come find out how. In this workshop, Xu Simon, certified mediator in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, walks you through the entire process, from giving yourself permission to ask, through preparation, reframing, satisfying interests, generating and choosing alternatives, and using body language to gauge progress so you can walk away from more negotiations with greater satisfaction.
Topics will include themes such as:
- Negotiating your salary or work responsibilities.
- How to initiate the negotiation process.
- How to prepare for a negotiation.
- The importance of body language.
- Principled vs. Positional negotiation.
- Defining and using a Best Alternative To Negotiated Agreement (BATNA).
- Reframing requests to increase the odds of success.
The 90 minute session includes two 10-minute practicals to help solidify new skills. Do you have any negotiation experiences you like to share or need help understanding? Bring them along to make sure your specific concerns get addressed.
Lunch will be provided.